The oldest record that confirms the name of Sokcho for the first time goes back to Yeojidoseo, a map made in the 36th year of King Yeongjo in 1760, in the Joseon (Choson) period. In the Joseon period, Sokcho was a district, called Sokcho-ri, Socheon-myeon, Dohobu, Yangyang.
period. In the Joseon period, Sokcho was a district, called Sokcho-ri, Socheon-myeon, Dohobu, Yangyang
B.C. 1000 Formed the early Bronze Age
  Prehistoric people lived (Found dwellings of the blue dagger period and artifacts: Joyang-dong, Jangsa-dong, Domun-dong)
551(?) In the 12th year of King Jinheung in the Silla period, it was included into Silla from Goguryeo
757 Ingnyeonghyeon, the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok of Silla
995 Ingnyeonghyeon, Sangmang-do, the 14th year of Jeongjong
1018 Ingnyeonghyeon, Donggye the 9th year of Hyeonjong
1221 Elevated to Yangju from Ingnyeonghyeon, the 8the year of Gojong
1257 Relegated to Deongnyeonghyeon from Yangju, the 44th year of King Gojong
1260 Reiterated to Yangju from Deongnyeonghyeon, the first year of King Wonjong
1397 Yangju was elevated to Bu, the 6th year of King Taejo
1413 Changed from Yangju-bu to Yangju-dohobu, the 13th year of Taejong
1416 Changed from Yangju-dohobu to Yangyang-dohobu, the 16th year of Taejong
1618 Relegated to Yangyanghyeon, the 10th year of Gwanghae-gun
1623 Reiterated to Yangyangdohobu, the first year of Injo
1688 Relegated to Yangyanghyeon, the 14th year of Sukjong
1697 Reiterated to Yangyangdohobu, the 23th year of Sukjong
1783 Relegated to Yangyanghyeon, the 7th year of Jeongjo
1792 Reiterated to Yangyangdohobu, the 16th year of Jongjo
1895 Changed from Yangju-dohobu to Yangyang-gun, the 32th year of Gojong
March 1,
12 Myeons of Yangyang-gun were rearranged into 7 myeons as follows. There were Seo-myeon, Hyeonbuk-myeon, and Hyeonnam-myeon. Gunnae-myeon (Bunae-myeon), Bunam-myeon, Wisan-myeon were included into Yanguang-myeon; Dong-myeon, Nam -myeon were rearranged into Sonnyang-myeon; Gangseon-myeon and Sahyeon-myeon were into Ganghyeon-myeon; and Domun-myeon and Socheon-myeon were into Docheon-myeon; (Ganseong-gun and Goseong-gun were merged into Ganseong-gun)
1919 Ganseong-gun was changed to Goseong-gun)
July 1,
Toseong-myeon and Jukwang-myeon were included into Yangyang-gun. Docheon-myeon was renamed as Sokcho-myeon. (Myeon office moved from Daepo-ri to Sokcho-ri)
October 1,
Sokcho-myeon was elevated to Eup. (Ordinance No.14)
August 24,
Under the communist rule
January 8,
Revived as Eup, under the military authority, as the South Korean soldiers moved into it.
October 21,
Sokcho-eup, Yangyang-gun (Legislation No.350)
November 17,
Transferred to democratic rule
January 1,
Elevated to a city from Sokcho-eup (Legislation No 1176)
July 1,
13 Dongs as Goseong-gun Toseong-myeon Jangcheon-ri, Sajin-ri were included into Jangsa-dong (Presidential decree No.6542)
February 15,
As parts of Yangyang-gun, Ganghyeon-myeon, Sangbok-ri were included into Seorak-dong, the number of legal Dong is 14, and 13 administrative dongs) (Presidential decree No 11027)
April 1,
Sajin-dong, Jangcheon-dong, which are legal dong, were incorporated into~~~ were incorporated into Jangsa-dong (Legal dongs: 13, Administrative dongs: 13) (Municipal ordinance No.1293)
October 17,
Through integration, the number of administrative Dongs was reduced from 13 to 8. As of late, the number of legal Dongs is 13; the number of administrative dongs is 8 (Municipal ordinance No.1657)
Details of integration of administrative Dongs
  • Yeongnang-dong and Jangsa-dong are integrated into Yeongnang-dong
  • Jungang-dong and Geumho-dong are into Geumho-dong
  • Parts of Cheonghak-dong and Gyo-dong are into Gyo-dong
  • Parts of Nohak-dong and Gyo-dong are into Nohak-dong
  • Parts of Cheongho-dong and Joyang-dong are into Cheongho-dong
  • Parts of Daepo-dong, Domun-dong, and Seorak-dong are into Daepo-dong